Welcome to the first Headteacher’s blog, which has, as you can expect, been put together during an unprecedented period for our country and much of the world under far from normal circumstances.
This blog marks the end of my first year in post as the Headteacher of King Edward VI Handsworth Wood Girls’ Academy. Even though the circumstances have not been ideal I have thoroughly enjoyed my first year in post and believe when the students return, we will be able to continue to work towards achieving our Vision to work together to achieve educational excellence and fulfil the potential of every student.
There are many highlights from this last year:
• Meeting many of you at my drop-in sessions where we discussed the numerous strengths of the school, but also areas we can do better in
• Our Year 7 students attending the Foundation welcome ceremony at the University of Birmingham
• Retaining the schools Outstanding status during our Ofsted inspection in October
• Our first whole school trip to the cinema just before Christmas
• The other trips to universities, visits from external speakers, businesses and visits to other places of interest
• Our talent show which demonstrated to me how creative and talented our students are in show many areas
• The school production of Oliver which was simply stunning!
• The numerous sporting fixtures our students have competed in
• The community and volunteering work carried out
• The engagement in local politics and community initiatives through our work with Citizens UK
• Mentoring and Tuition opportunities we offered to our year 11 and 13 students through external coaches and Academic Coaches
• The continued collaboration between our school and the Grammar and Independent schools within the King Edward VI Foundation
• The purchasing of each Y10 student a Chromebook to ensure they don’t fall behind
There is much to look forward to next term including the completion of a purpose-built 6th Form centre and a newly created Multi Use Games Area which will allow the students to play football and netball at the front of the school.
I look forward to continuing to work with you positively to further support your daughters to fulfil their academic and personal potential.